As of May 2018September 2019, ECI recommends that any computer being looked at should have the following:
- Current Generation Processor (Intel i5 Core or AMD A10)
- 16 Gigabytes of RAM Minimum
- 512 Gigabytes of Drive Space Minimum
- 3-5 Year Warranty on the machine for Parts (depending on how long the machine will be expected to be in service)
- Supported operating system such as Windows 10. Windows 7 end of life is January 14, 2020 and Microsoft now charges for upgrades from Windows 7 to 10.
The reasons for this recommendation is the following:
For some work, you may want to consider a computer that will support more than one monitor.
Optional Sticker Containing Software Serial Numbers
DELL, HP, and several other brands no longer include stickers on their machines with license keys for Windows or Microsoft Office for free if said software comes with the machine.
While this information is generally included in a email at time of purchase, it is very easy to loose email, especially if machines suffer hardware issues or viral infection.
Stickers with software licensing information are generally less that $5 for all info. Depending on the brand, users may be changed $15-$50 per email to recover keys they already paid for.
Gateway Accessible Purchases