UCSB department can request and get a "guest access" to campus wireless for a visitor. There are four (4) different ways to do that.
Short Visit Access (7 days or less)
For visitors who just need to access the Campus WiFi during their time on campus, they can use UCSB Wireless Web SSID.
From the UCSB Wireless Web, they can use the GUEST REGISTRATION link at the bottom.
From there, you will need to provide the following:
- Your Full Name
- A Mobile Number with SMS Text Capability (As you will receive your password via SMS Text)
- A valid E-Mail Address
Once you provide that information and click on the Accept Network Policy and Continue, the system will process your request and contact your phone with your Username and Password you will use to access UCSB Wireless Web with.
Academic Visitor, Guest Lecturer or other non-PPS Employee
For a long staying academic visitor, guest lecturer or other non-PPS employee with an academic or administrative need for wireless access a department should contact Identity Services and request an "affiliate" UCSBNetID as per:
Short Term (Max 2 months)
NOC can create a temporary guest account(s), login and password pair, which is not a UCSBNetID but will work for campus wireless access.
UCSB NOC (email@example.com) normally provides only short-term (up to two months) individual wireless access guest accounts, and bulk accounts for special events like a conference.
If your department has a visitor or sponsor a conference and need a short-term temporary account(s) then you send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
It will need to have the following information:
- Visitor's Name, Phone#, and Email
- UCSB Sponsor: (faculty name, 4-letter department code is OK)
- Point of Contact: (Name, email, phone number)
- Start and End date : (up to two months)
Here is how we (UCSB NOC) usually deal with wireless guest account requests:
For the conferences or similar events we will generate all the accounts at one time (bulk accounts) using the event name, e.g. fifteen "Some Special Event" accounts would be sse2016-1, sse2016-2, ..., sse2016-15.
Requests for bulk guest accounts should be addressed to email@example.com and include the following information:
- Event name and location: (e.g. Some Special Event, bldg.#, rm.#)
- Number of accounts requested:
- Point of contact: (Name, email, phone number)
- Start and End Date:
We (NOC) expect a request for bulk accounts should be made at least two business days but not more than two weeks prior to the event. The NOC will attempt to provide accounts requested with less than 2 days notice but cannot guarantee they will be available. We (NOC) ask departments to appoint a dedicated point(s) of contact to deal with wireless accounts requests. Ideally it could be someone from a departmental IT support personnel or an MSO staff member. Point of contact assigns accounts to individual visitors, and keeps the assignment info for 30 days after the expiration date.
It is the responsibility of the requesting department to maintain personal contact information for each wireless user. In case of security or other issue with an account we will work with the point of contact and he/she should be able to track down a real user in a reasonable time frame.
- The guest account(s) provided will work for campus wireless access only (no VPN access, Library Proxy, etc).
- Campus wireless available at the locations listed on this web page: https://noc.ucsb.edu/wireless/
- It is the responsibility of the requesting department to maintain personal contact information for each wireless user. In case of security or other issue with an account we will work with the point of contact and he/she should be able to track down a real user in a reasonable time frame. Please keep a list of visitors (name, e-mail, phone number) and a record of the accounts assignment. Retain the info for 30 days following the event.