TO: UCSB IT Staff (CSF listserv)
FR: ETS Messaging and Collaboration Team
RE: UCSB to Move Classic Hangouts to Hangouts Chat November 30, 2020
*****This message is being sent on behalf of the ETS Messaging and Collaboration Team. Please do not reply to this message. If you have any questions about the transition from Classic Hangouts to Hangouts Chat, please contact us via the IT Services Catalog or call x5000.*****
Dear UCSB IT,
Beginning Monday, November 30, 2020, all departments are required to use Hangouts Chat for direct messages (DMs), group messages, and team discussions as Hangouts Classic will be deprecated. We recommend that you switch to Hangouts Chat any time prior to November 30.
As many of you know, Google announced in 2019 it would retire Classic Hangouts, and transition the direct messaging and video components of Connect G Suite for Education to Hangouts Chat and Hangouts Meet.
Please inform your customers to do the following well before November 30:
- Explore the new Web experience at chat.google.com.
- Download the new mobile app for Android or iOS.
- Recreate any group messages as Rooms in the new Hangouts Chat interface.
Where can users find their old chats?
- If users turned their History on while using Hangouts, they can see all their direct messages in Chat. If users turned their history off while using Hangouts, they can only see direct messages from the previous 24 hours.
- All previous Classic Hangouts conversation history will be accessible in Gmail.
What are the limitations of Hangouts Chat?
- Group messages from Classic Hangouts will not migrate to Hangouts Chat. Group message history is available via Gmail and hangouts.google.com; however, users need to recreate any Hangouts groups in Hangouts Chat as Rooms.
- Google Voice is not available through Hangouts Chat.
Where can users go for help?
- Review the Reference Guide provided by the ETS Messaging and Collaboration team.
- Watch this short video that explains the new Hangouts Chat.
- The G Suite Learning Center for more information about the new Hangouts Chat.
- The Google Support Desk.
- The G Suite Chat room to help with Q&A.
- Visit the Connect G Suite for Education page at it.ucsb.edu.
- Submit a ticket to ithelp.ucsb.edu or call x5000.
Please watch your email over the coming months for further information to the general campus community.
If you require technical assistance:
- For problems or time-sensitive requests, please contact IT Core Services - Service Desk at (805) 893-5000 or x 5000.
- For all other services, please submit a self-service request at ithelp.ucsb.edu.
- ETS-provided services include service level agreements (SLAs) for response and resolution time as our commitment to your technical needs.
The ETSC Service Desk